Menu Close

Visa Requirements

One of your first steps should be to look into the entrance (visa) require­ments for trav­el­ling to Ger­many that apply to your per­son­al sit­u­a­tion. In prin­ci­ple, every inter­na­tion­al mas­ter can­di­date requires a visa to enter and stay in Ger­many. How­ev­er, the type of visa required will depend on your coun­try ofn ori­gin. The fol­low­ing sec­tion pro­vides infor­ma­tion about which entry require­ments are applic­a­ble to which group of coun­tries, about the visas accept­ed for stud­ies at Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty and about res­i­dence per­mits for Ger­many. Anoth­er impor­tant issue dealt with in these sec­tions is the proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources (Finanzierungsnach­weis), which is often a vital pre­req­ui­site for receiv­ing a visa.
Cit­i­zens of the Euro­pean Union (EU) and the Euro­pean Eco­nom­ic Area (EEA)
If you are a cit­i­zen of the Euro­pean Union (EU) or the Euro­pean Eco­nom­ic Area (EEA), your per­son­al iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card (or com­pa­ra­ble proof of iden­ti­ty) is suf­fi­cient for entry into Ger­many. Please be aware, how­ev­er, that to stay for a longer peri­od in Ger­many, you also need to have your pass­port with you.
Spe­cial reg­u­la­tions for cit­i­zens of par­tic­u­lar coun­tries
Cit­i­zens of the coun­tries list­ed below can enter Ger­many and stay for a peri­od of three months with­out a visa. For a stay of longer than three months, cit­i­zens of these coun­tries must, how­ev­er, apply for a res­i­dence per­mit. The coun­tries in this group are Andor­ra, Aus­tralia, Cana­da, Hon­duras, Israel, Japan, Mona­co, New Zealand, the Repub­lic of Korea, San Mari­no, Switzer­land and the Unit­ed States of Amer­i­ca.
Cit­i­zens of all oth­er coun­tries
Cit­i­zens of oth­er coun­tries are required to pos­sess a visa in order to enter Ger­many. This may be, for exam­ple, an appli­cant visa (Visum zur Stu­di­en­be­wer­bung) or a stu­dent train­ing visa (Visum zur Pro­mo­tion).
Apply for the MSc­SP