Menu Close

Residence Permit

Can­di­dates who do not come from one of the EU or EEA coun­tries must apply for a res­i­dence per­mit before their entrance visa expires. Appli­ca­tions must be sub­mit­ted to the for­eign­ers’ office (Aus­län­der­amt) locat­ed in the student’s place of res­i­dence in Ger­many. The res­i­dence per­mit is gen­er­al­ly valid for one year. The pro­cess­ing fee for a res­i­dence per­mit can be up to 50 Euro.


Applying for a residence permit

The fol­low­ing doc­u­ments must be sub­mit­ted to apply for a res­i­dence per­mit:

  • Appli­ca­tion form for a res­i­dence per­mit (Antrag auf Erteilung ein­er Aufen­thalt­ser­laub­nis). This form is avail­able at the for­eign­ers’ office.
  • Admis­sions let­ter (Zulas­sungs­bescheid) and/ or proof of matric­u­la­tion (Imma­triku­la­tions bescheini­gung) from Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty
  • Proof of health insur­ance (orig­i­nal and copy)
  • 2 bio­met­ric pass­port pho­tos
  • Pass­port (orig­i­nal and copy)
  • Proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources (see the fol­low­ing sec­tion)
  • Depend­ing on the require­ments of the for­eign­ers’ office at which you apply, addi­tion­al doc­u­ments may be required.

Proof of sufficient financial resources

Before begin­ning your stud­ies at Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty, you must demon­strate to the Ger­man embassy or con­sulate or to the local for­eign­ers’ office that you are able to finance your train­ing. Gen­er­al­ly, the proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources must be sub­mit­ted with the orig­i­nal visa appli­ca­tion but in some cas­es it may not be required until the appli­ca­tion is sub­mit­ted for a res­i­dence per­mit. You can demon­strate that you have suf­fi­cient resources to finance your stud­ies in the fol­low­ing ways:

  • by prov­ing that you will receive a grant or fel­low­ship (includ­ing the amount and dura­tion of the fund­ing) or
  • by demon­strat­ing your income and assets or
  • by deposit­ing a secu­ri­ty into a blocked bank account in Ger­many from which only one twelfth of the deposit­ed amount may be paid out per month or
  • by under­tak­ing a bank guar­an­tee for the planned dura­tion of your train­ing. This guar­an­tee must be under­tak­en at a bank in Ger­many or at a bank that is allowed to do busi­ness in Ger­many.



The above infor­ma­tion offers an overview and is not intend­ed to be legal­ly bind­ing or to replace offi­cial reg­u­la­tions. Only the enact­ed and cur­rent reg­u­la­tions are legal­ly bind­ing

Apply for the MSc­SP