Menu Close


The Fac­ul­ty of Med­i­cine at Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty offers a post­grad­u­ate dou­ble degree Inter­na­tion­al Pro­gram “Mas­ter of Sci­ence in Social Pro­tec­tion” (one degree with two sep­a­rate cer­tifi­cates, issued by the part­ner Uni­ver­si­ti­ty) in coop­er­a­tion with Nation­al Eco­nom­ics Uni­ver­si­ty, Insti­tute of Pub­lic Pol­i­cy and Man­age­ment (IPPM), Hanoi, Viet­nam. Work­load and learn­ing out­comes of the course are mea­sured by using both, the Euro­pean Cred­it Trans­fer and Accu­mu­la­tion Sys­tem (ECTS) and the ASEAN Cred­it Trans­fer Sys­tem (ACTS) ( For full com­ple­tion, the Inter­na­tion­al Mas­ter Pro­gram in Social Pro­tec­tion awards 90 ECTS, or the equiv­a­lent num­ber of 60 ACTS.

The master’s pro­gramme is designed for qual­i­fied and future-com­ing experts and man­agers from pol­i­cy and tech­ni­cal depart­ments of social secu­ri­ty insti­tu­tions, pri­vate com­pa­nies and the pub­lic admin­is­tra­tion in social pro­tec­tion. The focus is on par­tic­i­pants from South­east Asia and Euro­pean coun­tries, but the course is open also for inter­est­ed and qual­i­fied par­tic­i­pants from oth­er world regions.

The advanced degree pro­gramme aims at con­vey­ing in-depth and inter-dis­ci­pli­nary knowl­edge in the area of Social Pro­tec­tion. The grad­u­ates will be able to fur­ther devel­op and make a sub­stan­tial con­tri­bu­tion to the devel­op­ment of viable, sus­tain­ably fund­ed, effi­cient, effec­tive and equi­table social pro­tec­tion sys­tems to meet future socio-eco­nom­ic chal­lenges. Each of the mod­ules is based on coop­er­a­tion between aca­d­e­m­ic part­ners (the medi­a­tion of the­o­ret­i­cal knowl­edge) and rel­e­vant spe­cial­ized insti­tu­tions to ensure the prac­ti­cal imple­men­ta­tion and oper­a­tion of the social secu­ri­ty sys­tems. The course includes close coop­er­a­tion between aca­d­e­m­ic and pro­fes­sion­al insti­tu­tions in the field of social secu­ri­ty.

With the accom­plish­ment of the Master’s course, the grad­u­ates will be able to:

  • Demon­strate knowl­edge and skills in man­ag­ing dif­fer­ent aspects of essen­tial social pro­tec­tion instru­ments (tar­get­ing, enrol­ments, pay­ments, admin­is­tra­tion sup­port­ive IT)
  • Analyse the cur­rent sit­u­a­tion and chal­lenges as regards the gap between demand for and sup­ply of SP pro­grammes
  • Exam­ine the risks faced by indi­vid­u­als and com­mu­ni­ties and its poten­tial respons­es by SP pro­grammes
  • Crit­i­cize cur­rent SP and relat­ed poli­cies and their imple­men­ta­tion
  • Pro­pose solu­tions for improv­ing the land­scape of a social pro­tec­tion sys­tem
  • For­mu­late new SP inter­ven­tions and fore­cast their poten­tial impacts
  • Man­age com­plex busi­ness process of SP pro­grammes
  • Eval­u­ate the impli­ca­tion of SP pro­grammes on broad­er pol­i­cy objec­tives and draw rec­om­men­da­tions for dif­fer­ent stake­hold­ers.

Dis­ci­pli­nary and inter­dis­ci­pli­nary pro­file (out­comes) of the aca­d­e­m­ic pro­gramme:

  • Inter­na­tion­al and region­al ori­en­ta­tion
  • A “dou­ble” degree, which is award­ed by two uni­ver­si­ties and qual­i­fi­ca­tion to prac­tice pro­fes­sion in this field.
  • Inter­na­tion­al accred­i­ta­tion
  • Lec­tures with exten­sive aca­d­e­m­ic back­ground and pro­vid­ing from insti­tu­tions or pro­fes­sion­al set­tings work­ing on social pro­tec­tion.
  • Intern­ship at a Euro­pean or Asian pro­fes­sion­al insti­tu­tions in Social Pro­tec­tion.

1st semes­ter: Basis mod­ules (foun­da­tion­al stud­ies) at NEU in Viet­nam includ­ing addi­tion­al online course either in financ­ing pen­sion sys­tems or financ­ing health sys­tems;

2nd semes­ter: Advanced mod­ules in Ger­many / Europe – Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty, Greif­swald Uni­ver­si­ty, Maas­tricht School of Gov­er­nance, one of the var­i­ous intern­ship at insti­tu­tions in social pro­tec­tion in Ger­many /EU/country in South­east Asia;

3rd Semes­ter: Spe­cial­iza­tion mod­ules at the NEU in Viet­nam, includ­ing the Master’s the­sis.

The pro­gramme includes a num­ber of com­pul­so­ry mod­ules and one elec­tive mod­ule as well as a min­i­mum one-month intern­ship at a German/European or Asian pro­fes­sion­al insti­tu­tion with a high degree of flex­i­bil­i­ty to allow using par­al­lel lec­tures and group work for the detailed analy­sis in var­i­ous fields of social secu­ri­ty. Fur­ther­more, the basic mod­ules on health sys­tems financ­ing and pen­sion sys­tems financ­ing will be offered exclu­sive­ly as e-learn­ing cours­es. The final mas­ter the­sis par­tic­u­lar­ly aims at work­ing to imple­ment research in var­i­ous fields of social pro­tec­tion.

Admis­sion to the pro­gram is only per­mit­ted in the win­ter semes­ter. The dead­line for appli­ca­tion for 2018–2019 is July 31st 2018. The appli­ca­tion dead­line for each next course is April 30th each year (cut-off peri­od).

To be admit­ted to this inter­na­tion­al master’s pro­gramme, stu­dents are required to pro­vide:

  • Evi­dence of an above-aver­age degree — at last 3 years Bach­e­lor of Arts, Bach­e­lor of Sci­ence, study with diplo­ma med­ical degree pro­gramme (med­i­cine or den­tistry)
  • Evi­dence about at least 1 year rel­e­vant work expe­ri­ence
  • CV
  • Eng­lish pro­fi­cien­cy must be proven with an inter­na­tion­al cer­tifi­cate, or with an equiv­a­lent doc­u­ment. If Eng­lish is the native lan­guage or if stud­ies had been large­ly com­plet­ed in an Eng­lish-speak­ing coun­try, the rel­e­vant evi­dence shall be suf­fi­cient. Ger­man lan­guage is not required for com­ple­tion of the course. 
  1. All appli­ca­tion doc­u­ments have to be sub­mit­ted to a com­mon to all uni­ver­si­ties online plat­form. After the first pre-selec­tion of the can­di­dates, the admis­sion com­mis­sion decides about the admis­sion of appli­cants accord­ing to the for­mal cri­te­ria. 
  2. The appli­ca­tion will be reject­ed, if:
    1. require­ments are not ful­filled
    2. If the appli­cant has lost their enti­tle­ment to take final exam­i­na­tions in the Master’s degree pro­gramme in Inter­na­tion­al Health/Magister in social pro­tec­tion or in a pro­gramme with sim­i­lar con­tent, or is cur­rent­ly involved in an exam­i­na­tion pro­ce­dure in one of these aca­d­e­m­ic pro­grammes.
1st and 3rd Hanoi6.950 €
2nd Hei­del­berg10.800 €

Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty addi­tion­al­ly charges an admin­is­tra­tion fee for each semes­ter. Tuition fees do not include accom­mo­da­tion and oth­er per­son­al liv­ing expens­es.

Unfor­tu­nate­ly we can­not offer any schol­ar­ships but to give you an idea of how to find sup­port please see:

Cit­i­zens of the Euro­pean Union (EU) and the Euro­pean Eco­nom­ic Area (EEA)

If you are a cit­i­zen of the Euro­pean Union (EU) or the Euro­pean Eco­nom­ic Area (EEA), your per­son­al iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card (or com­pa­ra­ble proof of iden­ti­ty) is suf­fi­cient for entry into Ger­many. Please be

aware, how­ev­er, that to stay for a longer peri­od in Ger­many, you also need to have your pass­port with you.

Spe­cial Reg­u­la­tions for cit­i­zens of par­tic­u­lar coun­tries

Cit­i­zens of the coun­tries list­ed below can enter Ger­many and stay for a peri­od of three months with­out a visa. For a stay of longer than three months, cit­i­zens of these coun­tries must, how­ev­er, apply for a res­i­dence per­mit. The coun­tries in this group are Andor­ra, Aus­tralia, Cana­da, Hon­duras, Israel, Japan, Mona­co, New Zealand, the Repub­lic of Korea, San Mari­no, Switzer­land and the Unit­ed States of Amer­i­ca.

Cit­i­zens of all oth­er coun­tries 

Cit­i­zens of oth­er coun­tries are required to pos­sess a visa in order to enter Ger­many. This may be, for exam­ple, an appli­cant visa (Visum zur Stu­di­en­be­wer­bung) or a stu­dent train­ing visa (Visum zur Pro­mo­tion). 

Res­i­dence Per­mit (Aufen­thalt­ser­laub­nis)

Can­di­dates who do not come from one of the EU or EEA coun­tries must apply for a res­i­dence per­mit before their entrance visa expires. Appli­ca­tions must be sub­mit­ted to the for­eign­ers’ office (Aus­län­der­amt) locat­ed in the candidate‘s place of res­i­dence in Ger­many. The res­i­dence per­mit is gen­er­al­ly valid for one year. The pro­cess­ing fee for a res­i­dence per­mit can be up to 50 Euro. Please check for the most recent require­ments in addi­tion. 

Apply­ing for a res­i­dence per­mit

The fol­low­ing doc­u­ments must be sub­mit­ted to apply for a res­i­dence per­mit:

  • Appli­ca­tion form for a res­i­dence per­mit (Antrag auf Erteilung ein­er Aufen­thalt­ser­laub­nis). This form is avail­able at the for­eign­ers’ office.
  • Admis­sions let­ter (Zulas­sungs­bescheid) and/or proof of matric­u­la­tion (Imma­triku­la­tions­bescheini­gung) from Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty
  • Proof of health insur­ance (orig­i­nal and copy)
  • 2 bio­met­ric pass­port pho­tos
  • Pass­port (orig­i­nal and copy)
  • Proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources (see the fol­low­ing sec­tion)
  • Depend­ing on the require­ments of the for­eign­ers’ office at which you apply, addi­tion­al doc­u­ments may be required.

Proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources

Before begin­ning your stud­ies at Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty, you must demon­strate to your Ger­man embassy or con­sulate or to the local for­eign­ers’ office that you are able to finance your train­ing. Gen­er­al­ly, the proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources must be sub­mit­ted with the orig­i­nal visa appli­ca­tion but in some cas­es it may not be required until the appli­ca­tion is sub­mit­ted for a res­i­dence per­mit. You can demon­strate that you have suf­fi­cient resources to finance your stud­ies in the fol­low­ing ways:

  • by prov­ing that you will receive a grant or fel­low­ship (includ­ing the amount and dura­tion of the fund­ing) or
  • by demon­strat­ing your  income and assets or 
  • by deposit­ing a secu­ri­ty into a blocked bank account in Ger­many from which only one twelfth of the deposit­ed amount may be paid out per month or
  • by under­tak­ing a bank guar­an­tee for the planned dura­tion of your train­ing. This guar­an­tee must be under­tak­en at a bank in Ger­many or at a bank that is allowed to do busi­ness in Ger­many.

Please be aware, how­ev­er, that to stay for a longer peri­od in Ger­many, you also need to have your pass­port with you.

Apply for the MSc­SP